Hugues Lepic's Aleph Racing scored their third bullet out of four races, increasing their five point lead at the final day's start to a massive 10. Ultimately a fourth place in the final day's second and final race handed the French team victory at the Adris 44Cup Rovinj. This was a considerable step up from their third to last place at the first 44Cup event of the season in Montenegro in April. 44Cup video above published Jun 2, 2019.
DAY 3 Adris 44Cup Rovinj - Leader change as Aleph Racing goes turbo
Day 3 results of the Adris 44Cup Rovinj demonstrated how fortunes between the slippery, high performance RC44 one design monohulls and their ultra-competitive crews can change in a heartbeat. London-based Frenchman Hugues Lepic's Aleph Racing was top scorer in yesterday's three races, just. But today she was runaway leader.
To make up the schedule and because the forecast indicates conditions may be lighter, racing has been rescheduled to start an hour earlier Sunday, June 2, 2019. Meanwhile Saturday night the celebrations continue for the opening of Maistra's Grand Park Hotel Rovinj and the adjacent ACI Marinas Rovinj superyacht marina. See the Adris 44Cup Rovinj video Parade of Sail, a sail past of the Maistra Collection’s brand new Grand Park Hotel Rovinj, host venue for this event.
Day 2 Adris 44Cup Rovinj - Two bullet day for Charisma
Glory boys of today were unquestionably Nico Poons’ Charisma, who managed to secure bullets in the first and last races. However these sandwiched a costly last place - the classic zero-to-hero way for which the Monaco-based Dutchman’s team is famous. “This is normal for us - I wish I knew why,” admitted Poons. “We need a bit more time to sail together, but the potential in the team is there. We are getting a more stable and cutting out bad results.” 44Cup video above published May 31, 2019.
Day 1 Adris 44Cup Rovinj - Five races within one on opening day
A difficult opening day of the Adris 44Cup Rovinj saw just one race completed and a worthy winner in Igor Lah's Team CEEREF. But perhaps never in the history of the 44Cup have so many different teams led during one race. 44Cup video above published May 30, 2019. See also Adris 44Cup Rovinj preview video and video of Tom Slingsby and Vladimir Prosikhin on defending 44Cup World Champion Team Nika for the 2019 season.
The 44Cup fleet returns to the Croatian gem of Rovinj for the second event of the 2019 tour. In the 2019 44Cup, the world's top businessmen and the best sailors in the industry compete in high-performance one-design 44-foot carbon racing yachts. With the team owners at the helm, and the pros calling tactics, the fleet racing is very short, intense and action-packed, with a target race time of 40 minutes and boats frequently separated by just seconds at the finish line. There are generally three to four fleet races a day, depending on weather conditions, and no discard meaning every single race counts. The fleet racing takes place on a windward-leeward course, with a dog leg at the windward mark and a gate at the leeward mark.
Official website: 44cup.org; Results: 44cup.org/results; Tracker: tractrac.com.
- Wednesday, 29 May: 10.00 Practice race briefing; 11.30 1st warning for practice racing; 18.15 Welcome drinks.
- Thursday, 30 May: 10.00 Fleet race briefing; 10.30 VIP morning briefing; 11.00 VIP boat dock out; 11.30 1st warning signal for fleet racing; 16.00 Aftersail buffet.
- Friday, 31 May: 10.00 Fleet race briefing; 10.30 VIP morning briefing; 11.00 VIP boat dock out; 11.30 1st warning signal for fleet racing; 16.00 Aftersail buffet.
- Saturday, 1 June: 10.00 Fleet race briefing; 10.30 VIP morning briefing; 11.00 VIP boat dock out; 11.30 1st warning signal for fleet racing; 20.00 Official crew party.
- Sunday, 2 June: 10.00 Fleet race briefing; 10.30 VIP morning briefing; 11.00 VIP boat dock out; 11.30 1st warning signal for fleet racing; 15.30 Last warning signal; 16.00 Prize giving ceremony + buffet.
44CUP EVENTS 2019:
- 44Cup Porto Montenegro April 10-14, Porto Montenegro, Tivat, Montenegro
- ADRIS 44CUP May 29 - Jun 2, Rovinj, Istria County, Croatia
- 44Cup Marstrand Jul 9 - 13, Marstrand, Västra Götaland County, Sweden
- 44Cup Cascais Oct 2 - 6, Clube Naval de Cascais, Cascais, Lisbon District, Portugal
- 44Palma Cup Nov 13 - 17, Real Club Náutico de Palma, Palma de Majorca, Spain
more about sailing below (@ web version link below for mobile)