Vladimir Prosikhin's Team Nika today scored one of the biggest wins in the one design keelboat class' recent history when she claimed the RC44 Portsmouth Cup by a massive 14 points. Published July 18, 2016
Team Nika started with a 12-point advantage in the 11 boat fleet, so had all but won the regatta before this. As tactician Ed Baird explained: "The only way we couldn't win was if Team Aqua won and we had a collision and got penalty points." Team Aqua took second place regaining the RC44 golden wheels as current Championship Tour leaders and Katusha took third.
Fleet Racing Day 1 - Team Nika finds order from chaos in Portsmouth
Fleet racing at the RC44 Portsmouth Cup began today on a new race course, laid further east beyond the Solent towards Hayling Bay. Despite this, conditions remained ultra-shifty, making for a challenging, high scoring day for all of the RC44 teams. Except Vladimir Prosikhin’s Team Nika. The defending RC44 fleet racing champion somehow managed to put in a consistent 1-3-3 score despite the chaotic conditions that forced tacticians to make the most of their local knowledge, skill, intuition or sheer crystal ball gazing ability to anticipate what would happen next. Published July 14, 2016
The RC44 Portsmouth Cup is the third event of the 2016 Championship Tour, which pitts the world's top businessmen and the best sailors in the industry compete in high performance one-design 44-foot carbon racing yachts.
2016 RC44 Championship Tour: Events - RC Forty Four:
- RC44 BERMUDA CUP - 2 - 6 March
- RC44 SOTOGRANDE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP - 11 - 15 May
- RC44 PORTSMOUTH CUP - 13 - 17 July
- RC44 CASCAIS CUP - 21 - 25 September - fleet returns to Cascais, Portugal, as Clube Naval de Cascais hosts the fourth event of the season;
- RC44 VALLETTA CUP - 23 - 27 November - The last event of the 2016 tour will be in Malta’s renowned capital Valletta, City of the Knights.
more about sailing below (@ web version link below for mobile)